Saturday, March 6, 2010

Church Teachings

I have to say - I don't have a good understanding of all that the Church teaches.

For instance, I don't understand why the Church teaches that using artificial birth control is sinful. I've TRIED to understand it - but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I also don't have a clear understanding of why the Church teaches that homosexual behavior is sinful.

But I'm at a place in my faith where I humbly submit myself to the teachings of the Holy Catholic Church without question. I don't HAVE to understand. I simply OBEY.

How did I get to this place? Well, to be honest, I think God took me there! Because, I was pretty far away and I don't think I could have found it on my own.

It starts with humility, I think. Think of it this way. The Church is over 2000 years old! The bishops are learned people. Serving God has been their LIFE'S work. They've spent YEARS studying theology, and studying Greek,Latin and Hebrew languages. They've studied history and ancient culture. They spend HOURS in prayer EVERY SINGLE DAY! I, on the other hand, have NEVER studied theology. I can't speak OR understand Greek, Latin or Hebrew. I'm not crazy about history and can't really tell you ANYTHING about the culture surrounding the time of Jesus.

So with that in mind - I think it would be pretty arrogant of me to rely on my own OPINION to guide me rather than the teachings of the Church. Proverbs 3:5 says "Trust the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding."

God didn't create me to understand it all. I don't need to. He created bishops to guide me and teach me. I simply have to humble myself to the teaching of the wise! How very good God is to give us a Church to guide us in all of His ways. We simply need to humble ourselves to obey!

No comments:

Post a Comment