Thursday, February 18, 2010

Working on Me

The whole purpose of being a Christian, I think, is to allow God to transform me into the image and likeness of Christ. It took me awhile, but I finally realize that I can't do the work without God - and to be honest about it, I guess God can't do it without me either. We both have to work on me!!

I think that I've finally figured out a few things. The goal is to allow God to work on ME. I can pray and ask God to change other people - and that's fine - but even if the other people change - how will THAT transform ME????

How can I learn forgiveness - if I do not FIRST experience hurt?
How can I learn to let go of anger - if FIRST, someone doesn't make me angry?
How can I learn unconditional love - if FIRST, I don't experience someone who is unlovable?
How can I learn 'hope' - if FIRST, I don't experience disappointment?
How can I learn 'faith' - if FIRST - I don't experience fear?
How can I learn 'humility' - if FIRST - I don't have all the answers.

And so, Thank You God, for the times people have hurt me. Thank you for allowing people to make me angry. Thank You for putting mean, negative, ungrateful and unloving people in my path. Thank You for allowing me to experience disappointment and fear. Thank you for the times you have allowed me to be humbled.

I always ask you to take trials from me but You are wise to allow me to grow through them instead. You are a good and loving parent. You know what's best and You stand firm in Your hope for me. Thank You for believing in me and for standing by me - picking me up when I fall, dusting me off and sending back on my way to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment