Sunday, July 25, 2010

Obedience vs Understanding

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; Proverbs 3:5

I love this scripture verse. I think it is very powerful and full of wisdom in itself. Many of us say - and even believe, that we trust God. But, when it comes right down to it, our acts reflect our own understanding rather than our trust in God's wisdom. When we can't reconcile our opinion with Scripture, we often times twist the words of Scripture in order to support our opinion. Other times we choose to remain ignorant of Scripture saying "I've never seen that in the bible" when in fact we never really take the time to search and understand.

Thus we have people, who profess to be Christians, who profess to trust God, and yet they remain divided on key issues which leave many outsiders wondering "What exactly do Christians believe?"

It takes true humility - and courage, I believe to act according to God's wisdom, rather than our own understanding. It takes humility to be 'obedient' to any authority that tells me I can't follow my own desires - especially when I don't understand the reasons.

John 14:23
Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.


This promise of Jesus is reason enough for me to obey, in spite of the fact that I don't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment