Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Great Debate

It's that time of year again. The FWD's are flooding my e-mail box. The Great Debate.

Is it a Christmas Tree - or a Holiday Tree? Should I say 'Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Holidays'? And then there's the video I keep getting with the song "Christmas with a Capital C"

I don't see what the big deal is!! If I'm celebrating Christmas, I'm putting up a Christmas Tree. If somebody else is celebrating something other than Christmas, then I guess they're putting up a Holiday Tree. If I'm speaking to somebody who shares my belief system, I will wish them a Merry Christmas. If I'm speaking to someone who has a different belief system, then I will wish them 'Happy Holidays'. It's not about being 'politically correct.' It's about respect for others, peace and goodwill.

Does God care which words I use when I greet people during this special season? I doubt it. He probably cares about my attitude toward that person. He probably cares whether or not my greeting is motivated in love. But I can't see God being offended if I wish a Jewish person, a Muslim, a Hindu, or an atheist a Happy Holiday instead of a Merry Christmas.

"Glory to God in the Highest - and PEACE to men of good will"

Merry Christmas - and Happy Holidays to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment